Domestic Abuse Services Oxford (DASO)
Services and Programs: April 8, 2020 Update
DASO recognizes that in times of uncertainty and stress, our services and programs are needed, more than ever, in the communities of Oxford. The Ontario government concurs: we remain on the updated list of essential services permitted to operate during the current COVID-19 pandemic.
We are providing these vital services while mitigating risk to our staff and our service users: women, children and adolescents who are impacted by domestic abuse and/or homelessness.
Our services are crucial as families are directed to self-isolate which puts some women and children at increased risk of domestic abuse. They are even more crucial when you don’t have a home to go to.
The services and programs operating are:
- 24/7 crisis/support/information line: 519.539.4811 or 1.800.265.1938 or text to 519.788.9993
- Emergency shelter for women, children and adolescents impacted by domestic abuse and/or homelessness. To ensure the safety and security of our service users and staff team, we are practicing social distancing within the shelter which has placed some limitations on our shelter services.
- Transitional and counselling support by telephone at 519.539-4811 or 1.800.265.1938
The services and programs not currently operating:
- Community-based counselling, including sexual assault counselling, is suspended but will resume mid April 2020 by remote communication. This program is for current clients until further notice. Women can continue to access support through our 24/7 crisis/support/ information lines.
- Believe in Me, a community-based psycho-educational group program for women, children and adolescents, is cancelled under further notice.
We have taken the following measures for the safety of our service users, staff and supporters:
- Increased cleaning, disinfection, infection control, social distancing and active screening
- We are unable to accept in-person donations of goods or money until further notice. Financial donations can be sent by mail to 975 James St., Woodstock, ON N4S 0A5 or made through our website (www.daso.ca) or call 519.539.7488 x 236.
- Service providers (other than Emergency Services) are denied access to our building until further notice.
- We have cancelled two annual fundraising events (the spring fashion show, originally scheduled for May 5, 2020 and Men in Heels, which was to take place June 11, 2020).
We are grateful for the community’s support and understanding as we work to protect the safety and security of our service users and staff team during these exceptional times.