4th Annual Men in Heels – June 6, 2022
This popular and spirited event raises awareness and much needed funds to help women suffering physical and sexual violence. We are deeply grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, donors, participants, volunteers and community partners who together contributed to the great success of this important event in previous years. We are excited to announce the revival of Men in Heels on June 6th, 2022, with a few twists! This year you can attend in person OR virtually throughout the week of June 6th to June 11th, 2022. More updates to come.
In 2019, the 3rd Annual Men in Heels event was a huge success thanks to the generosity of DASO’s partners and supporters and the remarkable men who bravely sported the big shiny red shoes and walked to raise awareness and funds! We are delighted to report that proceeds from 2019’s event set a new record: $27,746.40! All funds went towards DASO’s vital programs and services for women in Oxford County victimized by physical and sexual violence. We were also touched and extremely grateful for the amazing response to the Fill-A-Basket initiative: a truckload of non-perishable food, household items and various essentials were collected for the women and children accessing DASO’s safe shelter.
Heartfelt thanks to all who contributed to this spirited event including Chair Diane Langner of Woodstock Print, our Stiletto Sponsor Vuteq Canada and many generous partners and sponsors listed below, the hardworking committee members and volunteers, emcee Brad Janssen and piper Mike Pritchard who led the walkers down Dundas Street and to everyone who pledged and supported the walkers!
During the event, participants enjoyed tasty offerings from the food trucks and vendors including Todd’s Dogs, Tiffins A Better Sandwich and Boston Pizza (special thanks to Boston Pizza for donating all their product).
Did you know that:
- Violence – physical or sexual – against women affects at least one out of four;
- DASO operates the only year-round haven for women and their dependents in Oxford County. Last year, the high-security shelter was “home” to 47 women and 56 children/teens;
- Every year hundreds of women and children take part in DASO’s community-based programs;
- 108 women received sexual assault counselling last year at DASO;
- DASO responded to 1,526 calls for help in 2021;
- DASO is a non-profit charitable organization and it needs to raise at least $200,000 annually just to maintain essential programs and services.
With your help next year’s event will be an even greater success! Partnering with us gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your commitment to ending domestic abuse in our community. It also provides a powerful marketing tool to reach enthusiastic local residents and businesses.
For more information contact:
Samantha 519-539-7488 ext. 236, samantha[at]daso.ca